15.11.18

Synthetic replacements don't satisfy

I am currently playing a video game where you can breed creatures and you can try to select for certain traits to make them better at performing certain roles.

For the time and effort, I could probably be breeding castor rex rabbits instead. Selling or crafting pelts, eating their meat, and also lowering the costs in switching my dog to a raw meat diet.

I am not doing that though, and the game activity has started to drag.

From a perspective of relaxation and entertainment, there isn't an issue, the game is well made, but there won't really ever be much of a tangible legacy for all of my efforts. I can certainly pass on the game, or share stories about experiences in achieving what I do, but as far as an impact in the "real world"? Negligible at best.

So I think that, should I continue playing it, I should find a way to make it "do work" for me. Perhaps streaming, running a parallel video channel and a blog, or something like that. Presuming that people keep playing the game, folks are always searching for quality content relevant to their interests, and in this fashion a source of my entertainment could also help pay bills.

That said, I've told my bosses for years that I am not fit for a management path. I am great as the guy the manager sends off to get his hands dirty.

From a certain perspective, it is unfortunate that I need such external guidance and direction, especially on the modern beliefs that if we just realize what the root of a problem we face is we'll have the power to fix it ourselves without help.

Best I think I can do right now is to put myself in circumstances where I can try to come alongside someone who already has a direction and needs my support.

I was laughing to myself the other day when I caught myself daydreaming of being recognized as good at my job, by someone I recognize as an expert who knows what they're talking about, and without much fanfare or pomp either.

With respect to a recent Voxiversity video on the male socio-sexual hierarchy, I think that'd put me square in the "delta" camp. That said, I do have a wife and children, so I am just a very blessed delta relative to the plight of most deltas in the modern world. I haven't struggled the way some have, and perhaps that's the reason why I am struggling with motivation and priorities now.

I am trying to appreciate a synthetic replacement to actual animal husbandry with digital animal husbandry, and frankly it keeps inspiring me to just clear a portion of my land, set up a hutch and some cages, and start breeding rabbits.

It doesn't help that I frequently see wild rabbits on my walk in from the parking lot.

I've heard they taste like chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment