11.12.18

Going through the motions

Musicians have a phase where the music they write is bad, but they still need to write it and get it out of their system.

It's how they refine themselves in response to criticism to produce something of value which determines their fate as a musician.

Given the shifts in the preferred mediums for communication these days, it is difficult to tell if a blog struggles due to the incompetence of the author, or for the same reason that horse whip manufacturers are no longer very common, just being "too late" to the scene and nobody cares anymore, whether you were doing a good job or not.

That said, the individual should always presume the former, as the latter only fosters delusions.

It is always better for me to presume I am incompetent and then seek to grow and learn more, because at the minimum I can do something about that.

The belief that I've done something of value, and it's just not sufficiently recognized, is almost always wrong, and in the cases it is not, I wouldn't be the one to burst that bubble anyway. It wouldn't be me who ever judged whether the content I produced was of sufficient quality or interest to inspire a reaction, or an interaction.

I won't stop trying, but for the few who do stop by, it would be nice to be excoriated every now and again to understand just how badly I am doing, so that I could have better feedback on specific areas that I need to get better at, and then focus on that.

I don't deserve it, but it would be nice to know how to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment