7.4.24

Resetting Everything

Time is our most valuable resorce, and how we spend it reveals our priorities. For a few years now, I have been simmering on the back burner. Not the good kind either, but the sort where the food is burned and there's smoke coming from the pot. There's no immediate danger, but things aren't quite right. The reason for that state is that my family moved. I quit my job, cashed out my retirement, sold the home, and we simply moved to another state. There was no job waiting, home, church, anything. We didn't have family or friends in the area, we didn't know anything about what opportunities there might or might not be, we simply took the risk and asked God to provide in the midst of what we were doing. No propecy, no visions, no "God told me to..." either. We wanted change, were tired of what was, and reset everything. It's been two years now since we landed. Got a job. Got a church family we are growing to know better and enjoy fellowship. Got a home to live in and develop and grow. But there was still soemthing missing. Because I wasn't managing my time and priorities. When things are difficult, it can be easy to turn around and not do anything once you've finally gotten a chance to breathe. Like being rescued from drowning, the natural instinct is not to jump right back into the water. So I haven't. I haven't created, I haven't interacted, I pulled back from all I was doing online before and just "survived". Things continued in digital space, dynamics came and go, memes are born and die, newsworthy topics dominate the feeds and then fade into obscurity. In the meantime, life continued for me without any of that being of any influence at all. What happened "here" wasn't affecting my life "out there" in meatspace. I was a consumer of content, but ntoa creator. I sat back and rested, rationalized based on what felt right. Feeling right isn't right however, and so I am slowly trying to shift back towards being a creator rather than a consumer. I have reset the context and constraints on my life and time, but I have not reset the skills and abilities and passions and desires that God has gifted me through my particular combination of personality traits. There are things that I should be doing that God would support and rejuvinate me in performing, that I simply ignored and gave reason not to partake in. There are paths set before me that I had reasonable excuses not to partake in. Maybe later. When we've got more resources. When I am not driving so much. When I have taken care of my family first. And so on and so forth. That doesn't work well and isn't sustainable. I have to sacrifice, not to my own benefit, but to the edification and growth of others. In my weakness, when I am on fumes, that is where God's strength, and wisdom, and power, is truly made manifest. When it's clear that it's not from me, but from Him, that's when I can fulfill what God wants from me in this life. I have reset many things, but not God's plans or purpose. If anything, the reset has made it very clear that few things ever happen by pure coincidence. There are few things that don't have a role and a purpose, no matter how small. Years ago, I coined the term "chronoblip" to describe a brief moment whose significance is found in a greater context. The moment itself isn't distinct or special, the contents therein, but once place in the canvas of "the rest of life"? Even a brief moment can change everything. I want to be part of those moments with others, in their pursuit of truth, and in followng Jesus Christ. I can't do that if I am consuming. If I have good reason to rest. If I am too tired and just want to go back to sleep. Everyone's life is tough, albeit for different reasons, and I am now trying to grapple with mine so that I can mature and grow as necessary to serve as God calls. Please pray for me to venture forth in humility, trusting in God to be the strength and support. What can I be praying for you about?

No comments:

Post a Comment